The relationship between archaeology and Indigenous peoples has often been one of colonialism and dominance. Indigenous cultural heritage has been plundered and relocated to settler institutions, or even taken overseas. Often, Indigenous cultural heritage has been displayed out of its proper context, leading to stereotypes and misconceptions about the people with whom the culture originated.

So it’s important to recognize and acknowledge the land from where I am doing this work, the work of creating a digital site showcasing my own artifacts. I am living and working in Vancouver, B.C., on the unceded lands of three First Nations. The xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations have shared common territory here since the glaciers retreated at the end of the last glaciation around 10,000 years ago.

The cultures and nations that came to call themselves xʷməθkʷəy̓əm and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh and səlilwətaɬ developed and flourished from that time, in intimate relationship with the land. Their complex societies created oral and material cultures that were handed down through generations. Only with the onset of colonization were their lifeways disrupted and their cultures devalued and almost destroyed. In recent years efforts have been made to repair the damage done, including repatriation of Indigenous cultural heritage.

Nisga’a totem pole repatriated from Scotland (where I studied archaeology as an undergraduate)

In my work as an educational technologist, I want to advance the Calls to Action laid out by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. Although many of these are calls on the Federal government, in my role I can play a small part in helping to answer the calls, specifically:

• 7. We call upon the federal government to develop with Aboriginal groups a joint strategy to eliminate educational and employment gaps between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Canadians.
    Colleges like VCC can play a key role in helping to eliminate employment gaps, and developing curriculum to support digital literacy in Indigenous students will help to achieve this.
  • 10. We call on the federal government to draft new Aboriginal education legislation with the full participation and informed consent of Aboriginal peoples. The new legislation would include a commitment to sufficient funding and would incorporate the following principles:
    ii. Improving education attainment levels and success rates
    iii. Developing culturally appropriate curricula

In my role I can advocate for uses of educational technologies that will help to achieve calls 10.i and 10.ii.

Acknowledging the rightful owners and decision-makers in these lands is a necessary first step towards meeting these calls.