Using skills and approaches I learned in the MET … I will eventually create a proposal for implementing a learning analytics approach at VCC.

Goal #2

Goal 2 Main Page   |   Artifact #5   |   Artifact #6   |   Artifact #7   |   Artifact #8

Format: Academic Paper
Course: ETEC 543 Understanding Learning Analytics
Early in the course I looked at the possible sources of learning analytics at VCC. The result was a summary document outlining the different sources.

I used the doc format because this will be a living document that I refer to and amend as more sources come to light.

Guiding Theories and Frameworks

While identifying potential sources of learning analytics data was a useful exercise, simply knowing what data we collect cannot alone lead to a successful implementation. My readings in the course, most notably Niall Sclater’s Learning Analytics Explained (2017) helped me to understand that other factors such as institutional culture, existing processes, and data governance all play an important role in the successful implementation of learning analytics.

Reflections

Identifying potential data sources served a couple of purposes. It helped me to understand the wide variety of possible sources, and it also made me think about the collaborations that would be necessary if and when we implement learning analytics.

Many of the potential sources fall under different portfolios, and each area of the college will need to re represented, consulted, and informed before any steps are taken. This was a useful exercise in reiterating the essential interconnectedness of the different parts of the college.

It’s easy to see ourselves in silos, doing our own specialist work. But thinking about what data we collect, and what tools we use to collect the data, is a useful reminder that we will all need to work together to achieve something as complex as learning analytics implementation.